photo

INSIDER CLEARS UP BREAKDOWN IN TALKS BETWEEN BRENDAN GALLAGHER, CANADIENS BEFORE NEW DEAL

Less than 24 hours after reports that contract talks between Brendan Gallagher and the Montreal Canadiens had broken down, the team announced they had signed the feisty forward to a new six-year agreement. However, according to TSN Insider Pierre LeBrun, the two sides had indeed halted negotiations recently.

"After the meltdown in talks [Tuesday] morning, Gallagher’s camp and Habs circled back to each other last night and got back on track and get working at it Wednesday," said LeBrun. "Both sides admit there was a misunderstanding which agent Gerry Johansson and GM Marc Bergevin cleared up [Tuesday] night."

LeBrun did not say exactly what the "misunderstanding" was. He was the first to report on the breakdown.

"Gerry Johansson, agent for Brendan Gallagher, says contract talks have broken off with the Habs," said LeBrun Tuesday. "Although Gallagher still has a another year on his deal so time for this to iron itself out. But talks have obviously not gone great so far."



It's great to see that cooler heads prevailed. Gallagher's new deal, which kicks in in 2021-22, will see him earn an average of $6.5 million per season. It also includes a modified no-trade and a full no-move clause throughout the deal. This means the Canadiens must protect Gallagher in the upcoming Seattle expansion draft.


TIM TUCKER
OCTOBER 14, 2020  (19H07)